Garden Sauerkraut

Friday, March 24, 2017

My intention of writing every week has already gone out of the window and it is only March.  I keep losing track of time, I don't seem to be achieving very much either.  I have been through a few low moments and my energy has been on my little boy, me and keeping my head above water.  I had an old university friend to stay which was really refreshing and easy.  He taught me how to make "no need to knead bread" and sauerkraut.  

I have never been too keen on sauerkraut but I keep hearing about how amazing it is for "gut health"!  And the garden version we made is pretty good, so I thought I would share it. 


We collected loads of veggies from the garden, golden french beans, beetroot, zucchini, dill, pepper dews, cabbage, chard, whatever is available.  Chop everything finely.  

The guideline we followed is 2% salt.  So for a kilo of veg we used 20grms of malden sea salt. Add the salt to the finely sliced veggies and massage and squeeze all the water out.
You can then start putting the veggies into a glass jar, pushing the veggies down with your fist to bring more water out.  You want the vegetables to be covered by liquid. 

Finally leave this to ferment for 4/5 days. It will bubble over, put the glass jar on a plate to catch the extra liquid.  Make sure the veggies are covered by liquid all the time. When it is ready, you will notice a change in smell, put it in the fridge and its ready to eat.  Despite not looking very yummy, It is good! 
 
  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!