Carrots

Monday, December 6, 2010

I went to a party on Friday night and a friend came up to me and told me my blog was rubbish!  He wanted    to see more recipes and more gardening tips!  So here goes-I guess I am reluctant to give gardening advise as I have always thought of JP as the green fingered one of the family. I will start with carrots as they seem an easy place to start.
Soil type: deep, loose, light soil.  For poor quality soil dig in a small amount of organic compost a month prior to planting.
How to grow: Directly sow seeds at a depth of 5 mm-mixing seeds with wahed sands helps spread them when sowing.  When seedlings are 5 cm high thin out to 2cm apart.  Thin out again when seedlings are 15cm high to 5cm between seedlings.
Avoid successive crops in the same plot.
Pests and organic control:  carrot root fly is the most common pest.  Use a crop cover or a resistant variety!
Companion planting: Lettuce, peas, leeks, chives, onions, beans, tomatoes and rosemary will deter carrot fly.
Nasturtiums are a bait plant for aphids.
Harvest a few young carrots-if they are pale the soil is too acid.  A dose of lime sprinkled around the plants and watered in will improve colour.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!