Fennel Ratatouille

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I have this aversion to normal ratatouille-i might infact go so far as to say I really dislike it!  I made it this past weekend for sunday lunch, and I still dont like it!  I think it comes from when I first turned vegetarian/vegan about 15 years ago people didnt know what to feed me so invariably the ratatouille would come out-urgh!
Anyway I have found a version that I do like, from Sarah Raven, and seeing as my fennel is never ending in the garden it is a good way to use it...

Fennel Ratatouille:
4 tbsp olive oil
sprig of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tsp fennel seeds
3 large onions cut into quarters
2 peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped-I dont like peppers, so I use Jalapeno instead!
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4 fennel bulbs, outer leaves discarded and roughly chopped
2 X 400g tins good quality chopped tomatoes-or 900 grms fresh tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
grated zest of one lemon
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp runny honey
salt and black pepper
small bunch of dill-roughly chopped
handful of black olives-or kalamata olives.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy based casserole, with the thyme, bay leaf and fennel seeds. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and saute for 5 mins. Add the fennel, tomatoes, chilli, lemon zest, tomato puree, honey and a little salt and pepper.
Cover the dish and simmer gently over a very low heat, stirring every so often, for an hour or more.   Take the lid off, add the dill and olives.  Increase the heat slightly to reduce until the sauce becomes thick and treacly. Taste and season as necessary.
Can be served hot or cold and if you have left overs makes a good soup, pureed and thinned with vegetable stock. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!