Tisanes-herb teas!

Thursday, April 14, 2011


One thing most of my friends remember about me from university Is the vast quantity of peppermint tea that I consumed.  Now I have an incredible herb garden here I can make fresh mint tea-I love it.
For peppermint, use five leaves for one mug, leave to steep in boiling water before you pour.  Spearmint is one up from peppermint, a bit stronger and still yummy. Both are excellent for digestion and colds.
 Sage tea is all right - famously good for night sweats and apparently invaluable during menopause-not that I would know first hand!  I enjoy the robust delicious taste of rosemary. Pick a 2in sprig for one mug and leave it to stew for the usual five minutes. This is the one to get you going when you're feeling grotty and lethargic, a useful hangover cure and an invigorating stimulant for anyone who gets SAD.  
We have just had so much rosemary growing we have chopped down my forest and placed it all over the veranda in terracotta pots to try and control it!  James is always trying to get me to reduce my herb garden-not going to happen, but I did give in to the rosemary battle. 
Fennel-seed tea is another one for cold days - pour a teaspoon of seeds into your mug or pot and after 10 minutes strain them off like tea leaves. Fennel has a fresh aniseedy taste and diuretic properties that make it popular with dieters. It is also much more effective than parsley for freshening the breath.  We save all our fennel seeds from the garden to ensure they are organic. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!