As promised- Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011


My friend from school, Alix, sent this to me to try and I thought I would share it with you all! 

__________________________________________________

Although it is apparently an American classic, I only stumbled upon Wacky Cake when I was trying to find something to bake for my sister. She had recently been diagnosed with vicious allergies to Soy and Eggs, and the years of searing joint pain that she had suffered was attributable to these nefarious ingredients. So, I was on the hunt for delicious soy-free, vegan recipes for my dear sister, who is a fan of all things chocolate. Clearly this is buried deep within our Faulhaberian DNA; not only do I routinely find guilty little wrappers strewn on my nightstand, but my nephew (My sister’s baby) arrived at my house last time with chocolate smeared all over his face after he had noozled a KitKat bar until he fell asleep.

The Wacky Cake is certainly wacky, especially to those who have done a lot of baking. The procedure is decidedly odd, but trust me, it’s the right way. I’d never blaspheme chocolate!

Wacky Cake

1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (for Gluten free use all purpose gluten free flour)
3 Tbsp. Cocoa
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 C. Brown Sugar (you can also use white sugar. I sometimes use homemade Vanilla Sugar- just stick a Vanilla
bean in the Sugar jar and be patient.)
1 tsp. Salt
5 Tbsp. Canola/Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar (I use Apple Cider as well, it’s lovely)
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 C. Cold Water

Set oven to 350(F)

-In a very large bowl, combine the dry: Flour, Cocoa, Baking Soda, Sugar & Salt

- With your finger, make three deep holes in the dry mixture.
-In one hole, pour your Oil
-In the next, your Vinegar
-In the last, Vanilla

-Pour Water over all three! WEEEE! Wacky!

-Mix well.

-Using a 9” x 9” brownie pan, bake your Wacky Cake for 30 minutes.

-When done, let cool on racks.

-This cake is best the next day, after cooling and refrigerating. Wrap tightly to avoid fridge funk (and I’m not talking Bootsy Collins….)

Delicious as a breakfast cake with Mimosas for a decadent brunch!
(Perfect for newlyweds J)

Enjoy!!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!