Millet Flour bread (Bajre Ki Roti)

Friday, February 4, 2011

Having just come back from India, one of the things I miss the most is the millet flour bread that I ate three times a day!  It is perfect for me-a cross between pancake and bread- gluten free and vegan!  What more could I want.  I was introdced to this at the incredible Mihir Garh  where we spent 5 days.  It is the staple of most of Rajasthan.

Millet flour-5 cups/500 grms
salt-a pinch

Sift the millet flour and salt together, gradually add enough warm water and knead with greased palms (I use olive oil) to make a semi soft dough.  Knead the dough 5 minutes before making the roti.
Divide the dough equally into lemon sized portions.  Flatten each portion with your palms, pressing the edges together to make 5-6" discs.  This has to be done carefully so that the edges do not break.  Avoid using a rolling pin.
Heat a griddle/or non stick pancake pan; lay the disc flat on it and roast oth sides. In India they then put it directly into a coal fire to make it crisp.
Serve with chutneys-or honey!!!! 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!