"Eat & Run"

Saturday, September 15, 2012

At the end of June, I ran the Lewa Safaricom half marathon-I must admit I found it difficult!  The altitude and the heat got to me in the end, but I was thrilled I did it.  I got to meet the amazing ultramarathon runner, Scott Jurek, who is also a vegan.  It was lovely to meet another vegan-I dont come across too many in East Africa!
Through my friends at "The Nature Conservancy" Scott very kindly gave me a signed copy of his book "Eat & Run:  My unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness" which has recipies in.



  I never really thought too much about it but after both half marathons I did this year people commented on my amazing recovery time.  I dont hurt.  Scott talks about how becoming a vegan hugely changed his recovery time after an epic run.  So that is my little vegan shout out!
I loved the book, the recipies are all simple, things he can eat on his runs but I thought I would share one:
Rice Balls (Onigiri):
2 cups sushi rice
4 cups of water
2 teaspoons of miso (or umeboshi paste)
3-4 sheets of nori seaweed

Cook the rice in the water.  Set aside to cool.  Fill a small bowl with water, and wet both handsso the rice does not stick.  Using your hands, form 1/4 cup rice into a triangle.  Spread half a tsp of miso on one side of the triangle.  Cover with another 1/4 cup rice.  Shape into one triangle, making sure the miso is covered with rice.  Fold the nori sheets in half and then tear them apart.  Using half of one sheet, wrap the rice triangle in nori, making sure to completely cover the rice.  Repeat using the remaining rice, miso and nori.

White rice is a great food for cooling your body, especially in hot places, and easy to digest.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!