A start

Monday, September 6, 2010

 The hardest part to knowing where to start, though I want this to be about my garden, my cooking, my daily inspirations walking around the farm on West Kilimanjaro.  I will start somewhere else, a place that I have dreamed of visiting since I was a little girl-Greystokes in Mahale (http://www.greystoke-mahale.com) on the shores of Lake Tanganyika.  I am lucky enough that my job-running community projects for the Nomad Trust took me there for four magical days last week.  It took my breath away, the lake, crystal clear, the chimpanzees, the local people, dinners under the stars to the sound of frogs.
 

It all started after being picked up from the airstrip and taken by dhow to the camp-it was love at first taste!  On the boat they produced home made sweet potato chips with guacamole.  So I write the recipe below for my friend, and professional photographer Sabine, (see her website www.sabinebernert.fr) whose photos I have included and a love for these sweet potato chips we share!

Sweet Potato chips:
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 large sweet potatoes, washed-we don’t get the orange fleshed sweet potatoes.
In a large saucepan, heat oil.
Thinly slice potatoes into round disks, about 1/4-inch thick. Fry for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.  Sprinkle with salt and serve with guacamole.  (I won’t bore every one with a recipe for guacamole-as every one has their own-I do like mine with a touch a cinnamon in though!)
 

Below Milton and I.
  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!