The wonder that is Kohlrabi

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

After a trip to Sicily in May I came back loaded with seeds for my veggie garden.  I got so excited about finding kohlrabi seeds I planted acres of it, and we have been reaping the rewards since, my poor friends get loaded down with “green bulbs” and I frequently get messages asking what on earth they are meant to do with them.  So I am writing one of my favorite new salads-wonderful and fresh, it is inspired by one from Yotam Ottolenghi’s http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/ new vegetarian cook book ‘Plenty’:

Kohlrabi Salad:
2 large kohlrabi
Large bunch of fresh dill –roughly chopped
Grated zest of half a lemon
Juice of one lemon
A good slug of olive oil-I am currently using one from Sicily that we got at the agri tourismo place we stayed in http://www.mandranova.it/
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cut the kohlrabi into matchsticks-about 5mm wide and 5cm long.  Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Use your hands to massage everything in together.  Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving, adjust the seasoning-you may need more salt to counteract the lemon.

Use your hands and lift the salad into a serving bowl garnish with alfalfa spouts and serve at once.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!